The survival guide of the Festival
Les Arcs Film Festival takes place in the middle of the mountains at 2,000m of altitude during winter. It is an opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the Alps, which look splendid covered with snow and stunning under the sun. The time has come to give you some tips on how to be a perfect festival-goer in the mountains
- Warm and waterproof clothes are compulsory. At 1950m high, it can get very (very) cold. Luckily, our theatres are warm and cosy.
- In the mountains, one dresses according to the weather. Boots and Gore-Tex shoes are very fashionable. Snow is cold and humid. Do not forget to waterproof your shoes and wear warm socks.
- Do not forget to put spare shoes in a bag so that you can wear them in the screening room instead of your quite uncomfortable ski boots.
- Avoid wearing smooth soles, unless you wish to become an ice-skater.
- Sunglasses are essential. When the weather is fine, sunglasses will protect your eyes from the sun and its reflexions on the snow. One other tip: sunscreen will protect your skin from the cold, even though the sun does not shine too bright at this time of the year.
- To warm up, nothing is better than to go indoors and to drink a hot beverage (no mulled wine or grog for the youngest, a hot chocolate will be fine). Do not forget that children must hydrate on a regular basis. In the mountains, one quickly dehydrates because the air is very dry.
Transports in Bourg-Saint-Maurice / Les Arcs
- If you are coming by car, access to Arc 1800 and Arc 1950 is not free (unless you stay less than 4 hours in Arc 1800.)
- Snow equipments (tires or chains) are mandatory. If you do not have any, the police can forbid you from driving in the resort.
- Free inter-resort shuttles are running all day long. It takes you about 5 to 20 minutes to go from on site to the other. It is cheaper, greener and friendlier than travelling alone in one’s car... but it is up to you.
- Skiing may also be a means of transportation. Nevertheless, be aware that ski lifts close after the last screening every day.
- The funicular connecting Bourg-Saint-Maurice to les Arcs is closed at night after the last screening. Screenings have however been scheduled in every site of the resort to ensure everyone's entertainment.
Tickets and welcome points
- Tickets, passes and accreditations are sold at the Coeur d'Or theatre in Bourg-Saint-Maurice, at the official theatre Bernard Taillefer in Arc 1800 before screenings. Do not hesitate to ask the festival staff for more information..
- If there is a change in the screening schedule, check out our website (lesarcs-filmfest.com), or the mobile version (mobile.lesarcs-filmfest.com).
- The official shop of the festival is located in the centre Bernard Taillefer in Arc 1800. DVDs, books and festival goodies are sold there.
- In-between the screenings you can go for a soup, a sandwich or even oysters in the festival’s refreshment area in the centre Bernard Taillefer. Hot and cold beverages also available.
Going out in Bourg-Saint-Maurice / Les Arcs
- Most of the shops and restaurants will be open. Pass or accreditation holders can benefit from special offers.
- The festival and night clubs of Les Arcs offer many parties to complete the festival’s triptych: Ski, Cinema and Parties!
- You can also visit the market in Bourg-Saint-Maurice on Saturday morning, the baroque churches of the valley or the Arpin textile mill, shop at the milk cooperative or taste some Beaufort cheese... Many other ideas to be found at the tourist information centre.
Ecology and environment
- We try to be respectful of our environment as much as possible. Sorting the waste, printing less, buying recycled supplies, priviledging public means of transportation... We are not perfect but we have in mind to do our best every time we can.
- As a festival-goer, you can preserve the mountain. Do not throw your trash in the nature or on ski tracks. Use public means of transportation. Don't waste water or electricity. To put it in a nutschell, be responsible :)
We wish you a great festival experience !