Work In Progress
Les Arcs Work In Progress, what is it?
The Work in Progress is a presentation of European projects in post-production. Around 14 projects are presented during a special screening during the Industry Village. 7 minutes of excerpts of each project are screened in front of industry professionals (sales agent, distributors, festival programmers…) by their teams. They're selected by Frédéric Boyer, Artistic Director of the festival, and the executive team.
The call for the Work in Progress for the 2023 edition is now open until October 18th, 2023
A quick reminder of the eligibility criterias:
- Fiction, animation or documentary with a minimum length of 70 min, currently in post-production
- The production should be mainly European
- The project should have no sales agent attached
- It must be the first presentation of the project in a Work in Progress session.
Please note that in order to assess the projects we ask for a preview link for some scenes of the film. We ask for 10 minutes material, but can also assess from a whole rough cut - it is however advised to prepare and send us 20 to 30 minutes of excerpts. All material sent must be English or French subtitled, and scenes, no teasers.
The projects selected to participate in the Work in Progress will be informed mid-November 2023.
The selected projects compete for three awards:
- TITRAFILM AWARD
The selected work-in-progress projects will be eligible for the TITRAFILM Award, worth 10.000 euros in image/sound post-production services.
In the past, this award has been granted, among others, to Rossosperanza by Annarita Zambrano (2022), Opponent by Milad Alami (2021), Silver Haze by Sacha Polak (special mention - 2021), Clara Sola by Natalie Alvarez Mesen (2020), Benni by Nora Fingscheidt (2018) or Girl by Lukas Dhont (2017)
- Alphapanda Audience Engagement Award
For its fifth aniversary, Alphapanda will attribute to one project an award of €6,000 - composed of €800 of advertising spend and €5,200 in-kind to develop a digital marketing strategy and implement a social media campaign around the awarded film’s festival premiere. All films participating in the Work in Progress are eligible, subject to shortlisting.
In the last years, the award was allocated to the projects Veni Vidi Vici by Daniel Hoesl & Julia Niemann (2022), Stranger in my own skin by Katia De Vidas (2021), Reflection by Valentyn Vasyanovitch (2020) and The Hill Where Lionnesses Roar directed by Luàna Bajrami (2019).
- 22D Music Award
For the third time, Les Arcs Industry Village has the great pleasure to collaborate with 22D to award a prize of €10,000 for Music Composition. This award will be dedicated to the financing of the production of an original composition (€5,000 in-kinds and €5,000 in the form of an executive production service). The financing will be supported by a follow-up and monitoring at the music publishing level. The eligibility of the projects will be assessed by the Industry Village and 22D teams.
This award was granted in 2022 to the project Hunters on a White Field by Sarah Gyllenstierna and in 2021 to the project Nika by Vasilisa Kuzmina.
In 2022, the Work in Progress session of Les Arcs Film Festival presented 14 feature film projects selected throughout Europe.
This event is intended to help projects that are in post-production to find international sales agents and distributors. The Work in Progress screening is part of the Industry Village events, which includes the Coproduction Village and the Talent Village for projects in development phase, whose selections have been announced, as well as the Music Village.
8 projects selected are directed by women, 1 project co-produced by a man and a woman, and 5 directed by men.
We received 160 projects submissions, of which 39% are directed by women.
18 countries are represented in the selection, including coproduction countries.
The selected Work in Progress projects for Les Arcs Industry Village 14th edition of the festival are:
- BILLY* by Emilia Mazzacurati (Italy) produced by JoleFilm (Italy)
- FOREMOST BY NIGHT* by Victor Iriarte (Spain) produced by La Termita Films (Spain), 4 à 4 Productions (France), ATEKALEUN (Spain), CSC Films (Spain), Ukbar Filmes (Portugal)
- FUGA by Mary Jiménez (Perou) & Bénédicte Liénard (Belgium) produced by Clin d'Oeil Films (Belgium), Tu Vas Voir (France), Perpetua Films (Perou), SNG Studio (The Netherlands)
- HUNTERS ON A WHITE FIELD* by Sarah Gyllenstierna (Sweden) produced by MostAlice film AB (Sweden)
- LEGUA** by Filipa Reis (Portugal) & João Miller Guerra (Portugal) produced by Uma Pedra No Sapato, (Portugal), KG Productions (France), Laranja Azul (Portugal), Stayblack Productions (Italy)
- MALEVYCH by Daria Onyshchenko (Ukraine) produced by 435 Films (Ukraine), Big Hands Film (Ukraine), Lehmann Sisters (Switzerland)
- RIVIERA* by Orfeas Peretzis (Greece) produced by StudioBauhaus (Greece), KG Productions (France)
- ROSSOSPERANZA** by Annarita Zambrano (Italy) produced by Mad Entertainment (Italy), Rai Cinema (Italy), TS Productions (France), Minerva Pictures (Italy)
- STRAY BODIES by Elina Psykou (Greece) produced by Jungle Films (Greece), Contrast Film (Switzerland), Doc Lab (Italy), Red Carpet (Bulgaria), Anemon Productions (Greece)
- THE INVISIBLE FIGHT by Rainer Sarnet (Estonia) produced by Homeless Bob Production (Estonia), Neda Film (Greece), White Picture (Lettonia), Helsinki Filmi (Finlande)
- THE PERMANENT PICTURE* by Laura Ferrés (Spain) produced by Fasten Films (Spain), Le Bureau Films (France), Volta Produccion (Spain)
- VENI VIDI VICI by Daniel Hoesl & Julia Niemann (Austria), produced by Ulrich Seidl Filmproduktion (Austria)
Out of competition selected projects are:
- SKUNK by Koen Mortier (Belgium) produced by Czar Film (Belgium), Baldr Film (The Netherlands) - presented in partnership with Flanders Image
- SOLITUDE (working title) by Ninna Pálmadóttir (Iceland), written by Rúnar Rúnarsson, produced by Pegasus Pictures (Iceland), nutprodukcia (Slovakia) - presented in 2021 at the Coproduction Village, the project won the ArteKino International Award. The project will be presented by the French distributor Jour2Fête and sales agent The Party Film Sales.
The projects marked by (*) are feature debuts, those marked by (**) are 2nd features.
Head of Industry
Industry Village Program Manager
+ 33 (0)1 82 28 50 10